닫기
내일을 여는 국민의 국회

Press Releases

• HOME
  • Press Releases
  • Press Releases
CLOSE

Press Releases

Former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki appointed as 37th National Assembly Secretary General

• Jul 15, 2024
Former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki appointed as 37th National Assembly Secretary General 관련사진 2 보기

Former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki appointed as 37th National Assembly Secretary General 관련사진 3 보기

Former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki appointed as 37th National Assembly Secretary General 관련사진 4 보기

Former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki appointed as 37th National Assembly Secretary General 관련사진 5 보기

Former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki appointed as 37th National Assembly Secretary General 관련사진 6 보기

Former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki appointed 
as 37th National Assembly Secretary General

- Appointment bill passed with record-high approval of 97.9%, securing 275 out of 281 votes at a plenary
- In his address to the plenary, Secretary General Kim pledged efforts to faithfully fulfill the legislature’s functions and roles 
- At inaugural ceremony, Kim prioritizes forging a National Assembly that benefits the people, earns their trust, and provides 
         a rewarding and pleasant workplace 

The National Assembly of the Republic of Korea (Speaker Woo Won-shik) on June 27 approved the appointment of former National Assembly member Kim Min-ki as 37th National Assembly Secretary General (ministerial level). 

During the 3rd plenary meeting of the 415th extraordinary session, the motion to appoint Kim Min-ki, a third-term member, as Secretary General of the National Assembly passed with 275 out of 281 votes in favor (a record-high 97.9% approval rate).

In his acceptance speech following the vote, the newly appointed Secretary General stated, “I will do my best to ensure that the National Assembly faithfully fulfills its functions and roles as the country’s legislature. Supporting the Speaker, I will actively assist with the legislative activities of National Assembly members and shall strive to create a National Assembly that benefits the people and earns their trust.”

At the subsequent inauguration ceremony, Kim underscored the goals of shaping a National Assembly that ▲benefits the people; ▲earns their trust; and ▲provides a rewarding and pleasant workplace to staff. 

Secretary General Kim stated, “The National Assembly currently faces multiple overlapping and interconnected crises – a crisis of public welfare, a crisis of trust, and a crisis of legislative authority. The National Assembly is the last bastion for protecting the lives of the people.” He then asserted, “We will focus more on fulfilling the legislative branch’s functions and roles of overseeing and checking the government as stipulated by the Constitution and laws, including legislative authority and budget review and confirmation rights. I am confident that when the legislature fulfills its roles, we can better promote public welfare, achieve constitutional reform, and regain [the people’s] trust.”

Noting that the National Assembly held the lowest trust rating among state institutions in recent years, Kim said, “My belief remains unchanged — we must change the old habit of settling for familiarity and vested interests. We must guard against becoming complacent with what is familiar.” He then urged, “Let us together shape a trusted National Assembly based on change and innovation. I ask that all staff continue to explore ways to effectively communicate to the people the various legislative activities and policy-making efforts of Members.”

Newly appointed Secretary General Kim Min-ki, born in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province, graduated from Korea University with a bachelor’s in food and resource economics. He served as a member of the 19th, 20th, and 21st National Assemblies (Yongin-si, Gyeonggi Province), while holding key positions such as Chairman of the Intelligence Committee in the 20th National Assembly and Chairman of the Land, Infrastructure and Transport Committee in the 21st National Assembly.

<End>

OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions.