Resolution on Supporting the Successful Bidding and Hosting
of World Expo 2030 Busan
Adopted by the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea on April 3, 2023
Officially known as an International Registered Exposition, the World Expo brings together countries around the world to showcase the progress of human civilization, address the pressing challenges of our time, and offer prospects for the future. Touted as the “Economic and Cultural Olympics,” the World Expo is one of the world's three major international events along with the World Cup and the Olympics. It is a global festivity where countries get together to develop visions for resolving our shared challenges and celebrate technological, industrial and cultural progress.
Under the theme “Transforming Our World, Navigating Toward a Better Future,” World Expo 2030 Busan aims to find solutions to the crises facing humanity including climate change and social polarization. In particular, the Republic of Korea is in a good position to contribute to identifying solutions and providing visions in our joint endeavor with its unique path of development transitioning from a developing to developed country in a single generation.
Preparation for the bid to host the 2030 World Expo started early on in 2014. A decision to place it on the national agenda was reached in 2019 and a letter of candidature was submitted to the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) in June 2021. The candidature dossier was filed with the BIE in September last year.
In July 2022, a reorganization was undertaken to combine resources of public and private sectors and establish what is currently known as the Bid Committee for World Expo 2030 Busan. The Committee has been running active bid campaigns, including rounds of competition presentations, meetings with BIE Member States, and promotional activities at home and abroad.
In an attempt to support the country’s bidding activities at the parliamentary level, the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea launched a Special Committee on Supporting Busan’s Bid to Host the 2030 World Expo in December 2021.
World Expo 2030 Busan will provide us with the opportunity to share our socio-economic development experience with the international community and play a leading role in key global agenda including climate change, digital transformation, and social polarization. It will also serve to broaden Korea’s economic and diplomatic horizons and raise the country’s profile further as a leader in the global community.
Against this backdrop, the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea reiterates its strong commitment to supporting the successful bidding and hosting of this significant global event and hereby resolves to:
1. Express its conviction that the 2030 World Expo will be a great success if Busan wins the bidding race, given Korea’s differentiated competitiveness including its capability as an industrial and cultural powerhouse, extensive experience in hosting international events, Busan’s outstanding transportation, accommodations and tourism infrastructure, and the Korean people’s strong aspirations for winning the bid;
2. Reaffirm its bipartisan cooperation and support with regard to what is required for the bidding and hosting of the 2030 World Expo, recognizing the significance of the successful bidding and hosting of the quinquennial mega event for the nation on the economic, diplomatic and cultural aspects;
3. Commit to doing its utmost to cooperate systematically with the Bid Committee for World Expo 2030 Busan, the Entrepreneurs Committee for World Expo 2030 Busan, and Busan Metropolitan City in order to provide its all-out support for the success of the bidding;
4. Cooperate actively on efforts to enhance visitors’ access and convenience by building transportation infrastructure and improving the area surrounding the venue as well as on projects to build facilities and ensure their sustainable use;
5. Declare its active participation in the effort to win the support of BIE Member States as a member of Korea One Team along with the government and the private sector by encouraging all Members of the National Assembly to use their full diplomatic capabilities until the election of the host country in late November this year;
6. Spare no effort to support Busan’s activities from the bidding process all the way to the successful hosting of this global event, based on its unwavering bipartisan aspiration and commitment;
7. Reiterate its full commitment to organizational, financial and institutional support to be required for the successful organization of the World Expo including the immediate legislation of a 「Special Act on Supporting World Expo 2030 Busan」, as demonstrated before in similar major international events through the 「Act on Supporting the Seoul Olympic Organizing Committee」 and the 「Act on Supporting the 2002 FIFA World Cup」; and
8. Declare its sincere intention of making meticulous and thorough preparation based on the Korean people’s strong commitment and Korea’s national capability if Busan has the honor to be awarded the bid to host the 2030 World Expo and earnestly solicit the active support of BIE Member States in this endeavor.