CLOSE

Press Releases

New Year Address by National Assembly Speaker

• Feb 21, 2024
New Year Address by National Assembly Speaker 관련사진 2 보기

Addressing a crisis of the people with a resolution to reform all systems 

- Preparing for the general elections in four years, aiming for national unity 

My fellow citizens!

A hopeful new year has dawned upon us. The year of Gapjin signifies the Blue Dragon, symbolizing achievement and hope. It is my wish that happiness and peace fill every home of the nation in the new year. 

Last year, the global economic slowdown affected the Republic of Korea, causing significant challenges to people’s livelihoods. This year, conditions both at home and abroad remain uncertain. While it may be difficult to be optimistic about people’s welfare and the nation’s economic recovery, it is precisely during such times that we need the courage to start the new year with fresh hope.

The path that Korea has trodden is a history of building up the resilience to overcome crises. The unwavering determination of our people to create new hope in times of crisis has been the strength of our nation. Once again, in 2024, let us demonstrate Korea’s resilience by turning crises into opportunities.

Today, Korea stands at a critical juncture. We must survive fierce global technological competition. Amid worsening conditions around the world, we must safeguard the peace and security of the Korean Peninsula. We must overcome the looming crisis of an aging population through extraordinary measures. A critical moment is approaching for Korea, to leap forward or retreat in all sectors of politics, the economy, diplomacy, and security. 

Above all, our politics must change. This year marks the general elections for National Assembly members. It is imperative to restore a politics where dialogue and compromise prevail. I hope that the people can put an end to the era of hatred and hostility and move toward national integration. 

I pledge to begin the year 2024 with the firm determination to break old patterns. I will spare no effort in creating bold changes and new hope for Korean society. Together with the people, I will overcome crises and lead Korea toward a great leap forward.

In the year of Gapjin, I wish for all citizens to achieve their aspirations. Happy New Year to you all, my fellow citizens.

January 1, 2024

National Assembly Speaker Kim Jin-pyo

OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions