WHAT’S ON

• HOME
  • WHAT’S ON
  • Press Releases
CLOSE

Press Releases

Speaker offers condolences to UK on behalf of Korea

• Nov 08, 2022
Speaker Kim Jin-pyo offers condolences on the death of Queen Elizabeth II on behalf of the National Assembly of Korea
- Speaker Kim visits the British Embassy in Seoul to pay respects

Speaker of the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea Kim Jin-pyo visited the British Embassy in Jung-gu, Seoul, on September 16 to offer his condolences on the death of Queen Elizabeth II, who passed away on September 8 (UK time), at the age of 96. Earlier, Speaker Kim had also sent a letter of condolence on September 9 to Lord Speaker John McFall and Speaker of the House of Commons Lindsay Hoyle.

After paying his final respects in silent tribute before a photo of the late Queen, Speaker Kim wrote in the condolence book, “I sincerely wish for the repose of the soul of Queen Elizabeth II, who contributed significantly to the friendship between our two nations. I offer my deepest condolences to the British people and the royal family on behalf of the National Assembly of the Republic of Korea.”

Speaker Kim then held a meeting with British Ambassador to Korea Colin James Crooks and shared some memories of the Queen that have been imprinted in the minds of the Korean people. Speaker Kim said, “The Queen visited Hahoe Village in Andong in 1999 as the first British monarch to do so and celebrated her birthday with us. The memory of her affection for Korea continues to be held close to our hearts.”

Ambassador Crooks responded, “I was a young diplomat then and planned that visit myself. The representatives of Hahoe Village came to pay tribute yesterday. It was deeply moving.”

Speaker Kim also expressed his gratitude for the royal family’s active support for the Korean economy and Korean businesses during her lifetime. He said, “I visited the UK to attract investment from AMEC, a British construction company, in 2003, when I was serving as a deputy minister for economic affairs. Prince Andrew held a welcome party for us. When the late Chairman Lee Kun-hee visited the country concerning Samsung Electronics’ investment in the UK, he was greeted and accompanied by the Queen herself in a carriage. I believe the royal family has earned the public’s trust because of its dedication to serving the country.”

Ambassador Crooks responded “We are honored to have President Yoon Suk-yeol join us at the Queen’s funeral. I hope Speaker Kim will be able to visit the UK to further promote bilateral cooperation in the near future.”

Queen Elizabeth II, born in 1926, remained on the throne for 70 years after her coronation in 1952 to become the longest-reigning monarch in British history. Her eldest son, Prince Charles, has acceded to the throne as King Charles III.
OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions