What’s New

Inaugural Address of the 36th National Assembly Secretary General

• Feb 19, 2024
Inaugural Address of the 36th National Assembly Secretary General 관련사진 1 보기

Inaugural Address of the 36th National Assembly Secretary General 관련사진 3 보기

Inaugural Address 

of the 36th National Assembly Secretary General

Dear beloved National Assembly family members,

I am Baek Jae-hyun, appointed as Secretary General of the 36th National Assembly.

Toward the end of the 20th National Assembly, I declared my decision not to run in the coming general election while urging fellow lawmakers to address pending challenges, such as the country’s low birth rate and aging society, the widening gap between rich and poor, deteriorating inter-Korean relations, and a regressive political culture. 

But today, four years since then, the Republic of Korea remains a country grappling with the issues of the world’s lowest fertility rate, sluggish economic growth at the 2 percent level, and security crises ranging from nuclear to missile threats posed by North Korea.

The situation facing the National Assembly is even more serious. Last year, the National Assembly, where we work, was reported to be the institution having the lowest level of public trust in the country. A mere 24.1 percent of people responded that they trust the National Assembly, just half the level of trust in the central government. This means that more than three out of four people do not trust the National Assembly. 

In the face of such a crisis, change and innovation are necessary for the Republic of Korea. The National Assembly must transform itself into a place for policies that help us understand each other’s perspectives and find common ground through dialogue and discussion. Only then can we restore public trust and create new hope. 

As the newly appointed Secretary General, I would like to express two heartfelt requests to all staff and members of the National Assembly.

First, let us strive to create a productive legislative environment.

During the 21st National Assembly, more than 25,000 bills have been proposed. Some bills are carefully considered for the betterment of society, but many are introduced simply to fill performance gaps, without sufficient consideration of their economic and social impacts, and face endless criticism from the media. We are truly living in the era of legislative overreach. 

The legislative activities of the National Assembly not only bring short-term changes to societal systems but also play a crucial role in transforming our society over the long term. Therefore, bills must be reviewed more carefully by tapping the full expertise of the National Assembly. 

To achieve this, specialized information based on legislative impact analysis is needed. We must faithfully support the legislative activities of National Assembly members, relying on expertise and rationality. 

Second, let us meticulously prepare for the opening of the National Assembly Sejong Hall.

The National Assembly will soon move to Sejong, a decision that meets the needs of the times for balanced regional development. With the rules and structures established through everyone’s efforts, this marks the start of a new era of the National Assembly Sejong Hall.

While constructing Sejong Hall to become a symbolic national structure is important, various challenges lie ahead, such as how to efficiently operate the dual National Assembly and how to help Assembly members and staff settle in. I urge your dedication to the construction of Sejong Hall and its timely opening, as it represents the future of the country and of us all.  

The year 2024 marks the conclusion of the 21st National Assembly and the beginning of the 22nd National Assembly. Please actively support the review of urgent livelihood bills to ensure the 21st Assembly leaves with no regrets. Also, muster all your wisdom to transform the 22nd Assembly into a legislative body that creates new hope. As the Secretary General, I will also do my best.

Thank you.

OPEN 출처표시 공공누리 공공저작물 자유이용허락
The work is available according to the 'Public Nuri' source indication-commercial availability-transformable conditions