History

  • Dokdo in History
  • Chronology

Chronology

Home > History > Chronology

Jan. 27, 1849
A French whaling boat, the Liancourt, discovered Dokdo, and named it "Rochers Liancourt."
Apr. 6, 1854
A Russian naval vessel, the Pallada, discovered Dokdo and Ulleungdo, and named Seodo "Оливуца," and Dongdo "Менелай."
Apr. 25, 1855
A British warship, the Hornet, discovered Dokdo, and named it "Hornet."
Mar. 29, 1877
The Great Council of State, or Dajokan (太政官), of Japan sent an order to the Home Affairs Ministry which stated that Ulleungdo and Dokdo had nothing to do with Japan.
Oct. 25, 1900
The Great Han Empire enacted Imperial Ordinance No. 41, which stipulated that Dokdo fell under the jurisdiction of Ulleungdo.
Oct. 27, 1900
Having been published in the official gazette on Oct. 25, 1900, Imperial Ordinance No. 41 was promulgated.
Sep. 25, 1904
A Japanese warship mentioned in its records, "Koreans refer to the island as 'Dokdo (獨島)' and Japanese fishermen call it 'Riankoshima (リヤンコ島)'."
Feb. 13, 1905
Japan posted Shimane Prefecture Notice No. 40 in a local newspaper, claiming that the island had been incorporated into the prefecture.
Nov. 9, 1905
Japan completed the construction of underwater cable between Dokdo and Matsue in Shimane Prefecture.
Mar. 1906
Govenor Sim Heung-taek of Uldo (Ulleungdo) reported to Governor Lee Myeong-rae of Chuncheon that Japanese officials claimed the incorporation of Dokdo, part of Uldo, into Japan.
May 20, 1906
State Council Minister Park Je-sun strongly denied Japan's claim to Dokdo, calling it "completely ungrounded" (Ordinance No. 3).
Sep. 24, 1906
The jurisdiction of Uldo was transferred from Gangwon-do to Gyeongsangnam-do.
Jan. 29, 1946
SCAPIN (Supreme Command for Allied Powers Instruction Note) No. 667 excluded Dokdo from Japanese territory.
Jun. 22, 1946
SCAPIN No. 1033 excluded Dokdo from the operation-permitted zone to Japanese vessels.
Aug. 16, 1947
The Corea Alpine Club dispatched a academic exploration team to Dokdo and Ulleungdo.
Jun. 8, 1948
The US Air force attacked Dokdo, leaving over 30 Korean fishermen killed or injured.
Jun. 1950
A memorial monument was built for the victims of the Dokdo bombing.
Feb. 23, 1951
The Japanese government proclaimed the Ministry of Finance Ordinance No. 4, which excluded Dokdo from its territory.
Apr. 7, 1951
In its draft of the San Francisco Peace Treaty, Britain recognized Dokdo as a territory of Korea.
Jun. 6, 1951
The Japanese government proclaimed the Prime Ministerial Ordinance No. 24, which excluded Dokdo from its territory.
Jan. 18, 1952
President Rhee Syngman promulgated the Presidential Declaration of Sovereignty over Neighboring Seas, or the Declaration of the Peace Line.
Dec. 4, 1952
The US embassy to Korea promised that US forces would not use Dokdo as a place for bombing drills.
Jul. 8, 1953
The National Assembly passed a resolution on Japan's invasion of Dokdo
Jul. 12, 1953
The Police fought off a Japanese Coast Guard patrol vessel "Hekura" which approched Dokdo.
May 18, 1954
The Korean government sent officials and masons to Dokdo to carve letters that read "Korean territory" and the symbol of teageuk on stones.
Aug. 10, 1954
An unattended lighthouse was established on Dongdo.
Aug. 23, 1954
The Police fought off a Japanese Coast Guard patrol vessel "Oki" which approched Dokdo.
Sep. 15, 1954
Korea issued its first Dokdo stamp.
Oct. 28, 1954
The Korean government rejected Japan's proposition to take the issue of Dokdo to the International Court of Justice.
Nov. 21, 1954
The Police fought off a Japanese Coast Guard patrol vessel "Hekura" which crossed the sea border near Dokdo.
Jul. 1955
A new unmanned lighthouse was established.
Dec. 30, 1956
The Police withdrew the Dokdo Security and the Dokdo Volunteer Garrison.
Dec. 26, 1961
The National Construction Research Institute (currently the National Geographic Information Institute) surveyed Dokdo and made a 1:3000 topographical map.
Feb. 3, 1962
Members of the Korean Amateur Radio League communicated by radio with foreign leagues.
Oct. 14, 1981
First resident, Choi Jong-deok, resigstered his address on Dokdo.
Nov. 16, 1982
Dokdo was designated Natural Monument No. 336, Dokdo Seaweed Habitat.
Nov. 17, 1991
Two Koreans, Kim Seong-do and Kim Sin-yeol, moved their official domicile to Dokdo.
Mar. 24, 1997
Telephone service began on Dongdo.
Aug. 8, 1997
The Dokdo Meseum opened on Ulleungdo.
Nov. 7, 1997
A monument unveiling ceremony was held to celebrate the completion of the construction of the dock on Seodo.
Dec. 13, 1997
The Special Act on the Preservation of Ecosystem in Island Areas Including Dokdo Island was enacted.
Dec. 10, 1998
A manned lighthouse was built.
Jan. 22, 1999
The New Agreement on Fisheries between the Republic of Korea and Japan came into effect.
Dec. 1999
The title of the Natural Monument No. 336, the Dokdo Seaweed Habitat, was changed to the Dokdo National Nature Reserve.
Apr. 2000
According to the Ulleung-gun Ordinance No. 1395, the administrative name of Dokdo was changed from Dodong-ri to Dokdo-ri.
Jul. 26, 2001
A 1:5000 nautical chart of Dokdo was first issued.
Jun. 30, 2002
The Ulleung base station was established for mobile phone service on Dokdo.
Jan. 1, 2003
Dokdo was given its postal code, 799-805.
Apr. 24, 2003
The Gyeongsangbuk-do office of the Korea Post installed a big mailbox on Dokdo.
Jan. 16, 2004
The Korea Post issued a set of stamps on the theme of "Nature of Dokdo."
Mar. 16, 2005
Japan's Shimane Prefecture enacted an ordinance to designate February 2nd as Takeshima Day.
Mar. 17, 2005
The National Security Council of Korea announced the doctrine of key policies toward Japan.
Mar. 2005
Dokdo became entirely open to the general public.
Apr. 18, 2005
The Dokdo Ranger's Office was established under Ulleung-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do.
May 2005
The National Assembly passed the Act on the Sustainable Use of Dokdo Island.
Jul. 4, 2005
The Gyeongsangbuk-do Council enacted an ordinance that designated October as the Month of Dokdo.
Jul. 2005
The Korean Navy held a launching ceremony of the 14,000-ton transport ship, the Dokdo.
Apr. 2007
The inauguration ceremony of the head of Dokdo-ri was held.
Dec. 2007
An absentee voting for the presidential election was conducted for the first time on Dokdo .
Aug. 14, 2008
By an executive order, the Dokdo Research Institute was launched under the Northeast Asian History Foundation.
Oct. 2, 2008
The National Assembly organized the Special Committee on the Protection of Sovereignty over Dokdo.
Nov. 20, 2009
The National Assembly established the branch library for Dokdo.
Apr. 2010
National Assembly Speaker Kim Hyong-O paid a visit to Dokdo for the first time as an incumbent Speaekr.
Sep. 16, 2010
The National Assembly installed a screen in the main building to show live video of Dokdo.
Oct. 1, 2010
Ulleung-gun enacted Article 11 of the Ordinance on the Management of the National Nature Reserve of Dokdo, which specifies that the Governor of Ulleung-gun may issue a honorary residence registration card to applicants.
Oct. 2010
Ulleung-gun declared October 25th as Dokdo Day.
Aug. 2012
President Lee Myung-bak visited Dokdo for the first time as incumbent president.